Saturday, August 27, 2005

Man on a mission

For the last couple of weeks, I've been pondering the work of Brian Tracy through a workshop and a couple of his books. So far, much of the information is similar to that provided by Tony Robbins, and the early work of Wayne Dyer and Stephen Covey.  I found Robbins, Dyer, and Covey a great read during certain periods at work, so Tracy is a good review and reminder of some of the questions to ask about successful living.
 
The material I'm getting is quite timely. I've been in business for just over a year and I'm finding myself getting caught up in all the same little habits I had when employed full time. Taking a step back to stop and think is helping me recognize that while I have a business offering a service, I still haven't taken the time to establish where exactly where I want to go with it.
 
In the corporate world, the solution is obvious - you follow the mission of your employer, your duties are outlined in a job description, and your contacts are decided by those you need to interact with to do that. As a new small business owner, I'm realizing that it's up to me to choose what direction to go, how big to get, who I want to relate to, and all those other pertinent questions.
 
That's both invigorating and scary at the same time.  Luckily, it's more the former, so I'm having lots of fun defining 'what's next' as I move along in the process.
 

No comments: